Sunday, March 21, 2010

Dill - Herb of the Year - 2010

What does the old Chinese proverb say: May you live in interesting times? Well, I guess this is it for me. Last year I had many challenges including breaking my ankle while taking a Plant Spirit Healing class with Pam Montgomery. It was 'the perfect time' to break my ankle since I was surrounded by healers and deeply connecting to the plant beings.

But it meant that I was not able to do any of my shows, work outside in my own garden, or make any products for several months. I was not even able to get outside for months. I looked longingly out the window.

Then one of my beloved cats, Grace, who had a thyroid condition, developed a heart condition which worsened and finally led to her death.

It seemed like there was one thing after another. And I know that others had a tough year too. In fact, many of my friends and associates died or developed grave illnesses.

I felt I was under a black cloud and was not able to write in my blogs because I was so uninspired. Life felt meaningless. There is nothing worse for a person who has devoted their life to spiritual pursuits, seeking truth and light, but it happens. I was in the wasteland, so to speak. Having a dark night of the soul.

I was also financially challenged because I had been unable to work for several months. I felt stuck. Surrounded by herbal remedies, flower essences, essential oils, I forgot to take them. Duh.

But then one day, the cloud lifted. I felt a shift in energy. I knew this year would be a better and so it has been. I had gone through an ordeal and had learned the lessons.

One thing that helped shift the energy was helping someone else. Giving what I had to give, expecting nothing in return.

One of my teachers was going through cancer treatment. I had not been able to go to my astrology class for months - first because I could not drive, then because I had no money to pay for them. I didn't know what was happening to him until one of my classmates called and told me. One night I just had to go. Since so many people and pets had been dying around me, I thought "what if I never see him again?" I scraped up the money and went. After class I asked him about his situation and he told me what was going on. When I got out to my car I suddenly had a 'download' about his condition and its 'energetic' cause. I went back in and offered what I had seen and suggested flower essences, since they are so powerful when dealing with energetic causes - even to physical conditions.

The next day I worked on the formula, made it up and brought it to him. We continued over a period of a couple of months or so, making new remedies as needed. He said he could feel their healing qualities while holding the bottles. He continued to get his treatments - radiation and chemotherapy - and took his flower essences. He told me that they were the only thing that gave him any relief from the side effects of his medical treatments.

He came through the ordeal completely healed and I learned that flower essences 'work'!

I also remembered to take them myself!

Now I am so busy with scheduling my classes, workshops and craft shows, I have been neglecting my blogs again, but this time for a 'positive reason'. I apologize to my readers.

The Herb of the Year for 2010 is Dill.

One of my favorite herbs, I use freeze dried dill in salads such as cole slaw (my version), egg, macaroni/pasta, and of course, in deviled eggs. I also use it on baked fish.

If you are interested my cole slaw recipe: It's really not cole slaw, but this is one of my favorite salads.

Chopped or shredded cabbage green and red if you have it.
Diced red peppers
Diced carrots
Diced celery
Cilantro
Dried Dill
Oriental dressing - with ginger, soy, sesame oil either homemade or store bought.

You can also use it fresh. Click here for an article on dill in the Herb Companion that includes recipes.

Dill seed is sometimes used in bread where it lends a pungent flavor.

Dill essential oil is most used for the digestive system and may help lower glucose levels and normalize insulin levels. If you have these issues, please do not self-medicate, consult a physician first.

It can also be helpful when dealing with constipation or indigestion and headaches related to digestive issues.

It has been used historically to promote milk flow in nursing mothers. It also supports liver and pancreas function.

Dill essential oil is 'generally regarded as safe' (GRAS) for internal consumption by the FDA, but as is the case with all essential oils, it is quite strong and should be diluted when taken orally. Use 1 drop of oil in 1 tsp. of honey or 4 oz. of beverage. When giving to children over 6 dilute further.

Dill essential oil calms the autonomic nervous system and when diffused with Roman chamomile may help calm fidgety children.

Put a drop or two on the wrists to help curb sugar cravings.

NOT FOR CHILDREN UNDER 6 OR IF THERE IS A HISTORY OF EPILEPSY.

FES has this to say about Dill Flower Essence:

Positive qualities: Ability to experience and absorb a wide variety of sensory experiences, heightened awareness of taste, touch, hearing, sight, smell, etc.

Patterns of imbalance: Overwhelm due to excess stimulation, hypersensitivity to environment or to outer activity, sensory congestion

Go to the FES website here to purchase and learn more.

1 comment:

*Ulrike* said...

So very interesting. I know last year was a hard year even for me. Let's hope that things get a little bit better!