Monday, October 17, 2011

Edible Mushrooms Growing in my Living Room!

A couple of weeks ago I had a booth at the annual harvest event at Laguna Farms in Sebastopol. I was selling my herbal products and giving flower essence readings.

They offered many classes including one on growing edible mushrooms. I made two 'bags' full of rice hay and mycelium.

Two days ago they sprouted. I was so excited! Mushroom babies! I spent some time trying to find out what kind they were then finally identified them - Pleurotus ostreatus var.columbinus blue oyster mushrooms! I wasn't sure how long to let them grow before harvesting, but after I did a little research, I figured it out.

This picture shows them on the second day after they pop out of the plastic bag. They get as big as cookies and lighten in color when they are ready to eat. Once they start, they grow fast.

I have been eating them for two nights now. Although they are not supposed to do this, I notice my dreams are more vivid and active than they had been before. I am very sensitive to new energies, so it might just be me. But I do feel different. I cut the fresh mushrooms, cook and eat them in minutes. They are so alive, the first time I cut them I apologized.

I am hooked! Growing my own edible mushrooms is so easy! I always heard that, but now that I've done it and eaten the results I am a believer.

Today, the universe said YES, and sent me the latest catalog from Fungi Perfecti. I knew I had one, but couldn't find it. I have been listening for guidance about the direction I am to take next and now I know I will be growing mushrooms.

Since I live in the woods, my place is cool and dark most of the time. I have the right kind of place for growing mushrooms, both indoor and outdoor. You can eat them and it's legal!

The first time I ate them, I wanted to taste their natural flavor, so I did not use any seasoning. They were so delicious,with a mild and delicate flavor. I sauteed them briefly in a little olive oil and butter. Yummm!

Last night I mixed them with roasted eggplant and garlic over linguini sprinkled lightly with fresh grated parmesan. It was a gourmet meal.

Tonight I'm going to cook up a batch and freeze it. They are producing so many mushrooms I can't eat them all. I will cook them up, freeze them, then used them in a sauce over polenta that I will bring to a Halloween party potluck.

Not sure if they grow a second time, but I'll see. My next experiment will be to grow some medicinal mushroom like Reishi and Lion's Mane.

Here are some useful websites I found in my research:
http://www.asianonlinerecipes.com/rss/index.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleurotus
http://www.ostrommushrooms.com/varieties/grow-5.asp
http://www.ostrommushrooms.com/varieties/recipes-5.asp

To start "growing your own" I suggest going to the website by Fungi Perfecti, because they are totally reliable and they have been doing this for a long time.
http://www.fungi.com/
Try growing your own. It is so amazing. A great project for kids. You can grow them on your kitchen counter. They don't take up much room and you don't have to do anything. No watering or weeding! ha ha

No comments: