Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Making Your Own

Wanted you to see the tincture and infused oil I made from the St. John's wort I harvested a month ago.

Infused oil - small jar on the right



I put the dried plant material in a jar then fill with olive oil. I put it outside under the sun, moon and stars for one month - from full moon to full moon. Look at the bright red color. I will press then filter out the plant material. I use this in healing salves such as Sea Witch Salve for sale in my Etsy Store and the Solar Salve available from my website. I also use it in a Liniment where it assists with minor pain relief.

Tincture - large jar on the left

I fill the jar with fresh plant material then fill with 95% alcohol from Marian Farms in the San Joaquin Valley of California. This alcohol is made from organic, biodynamcially grown grapes. I place the jar in a dark place for one month. I press it with the tincture press I got from Horizon Herbs in Oregon. This tincture is used as an anti-depressant, for lower back pain, as an anti-inflammatory and for sciatica.



Making Plant Medicine, by Richo Cech is a very useful, reader-friendly book telling you different ways to make tinctures, infused oils, salves and many other herbal products.

No comments: